The brand new
SS schnelle Schuetzen-Regiment "Langemarck" (SS fast rifle regiment
"Langemarck") was raised on 20th April 1942 in SS-Reich Division
(mot). The remnant of SS Infanterie-Regiment 4 "Langemarck"
became the regimental headquarters and second battalion for the new regiment.
The SS-Reich Kradschuetzen-Bataillon became the first battalion. The
SS-Obersturmbannfuehrer Hinrich Schuldt became the regimental commander.
His adjutant was SS-Hauptsturmfuehrer Dieter Kesten. The commander of
the first battalion was SS-Sturmbannfuehrer Jacob Fick and his adjutant
was SS-Obersturmfuehrer Hermann Buch. The commander of the The commander
of the second battalion was SS-Hauptsturmfuehrer Walter Harzer and later
he was replaced by SS-Hauptsturmfuehrer Christian Tychsen. The battalion
adjutant was SS-Obersturmfuehrer Hans Pavelka. Most of the Flemish volunteers
in SS-Reich Division (mot) were concentrated in this regiment. Each battalion
had one HQ company, three fast rifle company, one machine gun company
and one heavy company. The fast rifle companies and machine gun company
were all equiped with VW-166 schwimmwagen to increase their cross-country
mobility. The second battalion was reformed into the second battalion
of SS-Panzer Regiment 2 on 14th October 1942 and the division was renamed
as "Das Reich" the next day. Finally the division was renamed
as SS-Panzergrenadier Division "Das Reich" to fit its combat
ability on 9th November 1942. SS-Hauptsturmfuehrer Christian Tychsen became
the commander of SS-Panzer Regiment 2 in 1943. The fast rifle regiment
"Langemarck" had only one battalion after the second battalion
left the regiment but they distinguished themselves in the battle of Kharkov
in early 1943. This picture was taken in April 1943 after the battle of
Kharkov while the new commander of SS-Panzergrenadier Division "Das
Reich", SS-Obergruppenfuehrer Walter Krueger, visited the regiment.